Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Blake and Whitman

“To see the World in a Grain of Sand,
And Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And Eternity in an hour.”
-William Blake, Auguries of Innocence

“The desire of Man being Infinite the possession is Infinite & himself Infinite. He who sees the Infinite in all things sees God. He who sees the Ratio only sees himself only. Therefore God becomes as we are, that we may be as he is.”
-William Blake, There is No Natural Religion

“I celebrate myself, and sing myself, And what I assume you shall assume, for every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.”
-Walt Whitman, Leaves of a Grass

“I hear and behold God in every object, yet understand God not in the least… I see something of God each hour of the twenty-four and each moment then, in the faces of men and women I see God, and in my own face in the glass.”
-Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

“The Gods of the earth and sea
Sought throu nature to find this Tree
But there search was all in vain
There grows one in the Human Brain.” –William Blake, The Human Abstract

“I bestow upon any man or woman the entrance to all the gifts of the universe.”
-Walt Whitman

“The eyesight has another eyesight and the hearing another hearing and the voice another voice.”
-Walt Whitman

“If the doors to perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is, infinite.”–William Blake

No comments: